Weekly Discussion Group

Points of Light, a certified Teaching Chapter of United Centers for Spiritual Living, hosts a weekly reading and discussion group. Please feel free to join us any time.
WEDNESDAYS, 5:30-7:00 pm at Ann Arbor Interfaith Center (Click for a MAP)

Next Meeting: January 6, 2010

Erin's Blog

The Journal of Erin Fry, RScP - Points of Light's Founder and Facilitator.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Blanket













Today is the first day I have used a blanket to help me sit for meditation. Now that I have tried it, I don’t know why I didn’t do it before. What’s the big deal?


I remember in yoga classes the instructor would talk about using a blanket to help people prop themselves up. It was usually said as “some people may need this.” Some students needed blocks, others needed belts, and then there were those who needed blankets.

It wasn’t until last week when I was in a yoga class at the Chelsea Wellness Center (great place by the way), that the instructor was one of the “some people” who needed a blanket to sit up straight. I liked this. It made me feel better. Then I forgot all about it until this morning when I was searching for a place to do my meditation. The sliding door was open. It was raining outside and the birds were active. The raindrops on the deck and outdoor furniture sounded so beautiful, I wanted to sit by the door so I could hear everything better. I looked for something to sit on and then I saw the blanket. This blue blanket has been resting on the edge of the couch the entire time we have been house sitting. I wasn’t even sure why it was there since it doesn’t really match anything in the living room. But there it was. Calling to me. I picked it up and sat down. It was perfect. My spine was straight and my ears were tingling with all the wonderful sounds around me.

I admit that my meditation posture has been rather lazy in the past. Certainly less than ideal and in fact, I have sat in ways that many instructors would tell students not to sit. But today it was textbook.

I laugh at myself for taking so long to admit that I need a blanket. I give myself credit for not "beating myself up" about the less than perfect posture in the past. I smile and give thanks that the blanket was there all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment