Weekly Discussion Group

Points of Light, a certified Teaching Chapter of United Centers for Spiritual Living, hosts a weekly reading and discussion group. Please feel free to join us any time.
WEDNESDAYS, 5:30-7:00 pm at Ann Arbor Interfaith Center (Click for a MAP)

Next Meeting: January 6, 2010

Erin's Blog

The Journal of Erin Fry, RScP - Points of Light's Founder and Facilitator.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Birdsong

















While I was at the Celebrate Your Life Conference on Sunday, I used my lunch-break to take a walk. As I approached the main intersection I felt something was amiss and I heard a strange sound buzzing in the air. I looked around to see what was making the noise.


When I reached the corner I stopped and listened.
It sounded like an electrical buzz and at first I thought it was the traffic signal. Eventually I discovered the sound was coming from the birds.

I continued to listen. It seemed as though the birds were singing the song of the traffic signal --- working together and amplifying it.

I was shocked. I know birds are mimickers (recent house-sitting experience reminded me that birds sing the song of car alarms and other electrical devices) but somehow this seemed over the top.

At first I felt a bit sorry for the birds and then I realized we are not much different --- picking up the sounds around us and amplifying them. As I walked away from the intersection, I reminded myself of the importance of finding and singing our natural song.

This morning I am happy to wake at the FryFarm. Out here on the county line, we have no internet or cell reception. Very little electrical interference. I enjoy the sounds of the birds and I can be still and hear my own song.

I am grateful for Rickie Byars Beckwith who reminds me there are songs inside each one of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment