Weekly Discussion Group

Points of Light, a certified Teaching Chapter of United Centers for Spiritual Living, hosts a weekly reading and discussion group. Please feel free to join us any time.
WEDNESDAYS, 5:30-7:00 pm at Ann Arbor Interfaith Center (Click for a MAP)

Next Meeting: January 6, 2010

Erin's Blog

The Journal of Erin Fry, RScP - Points of Light's Founder and Facilitator.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Summer of Self Care


Photo by Brent Sherman


This week we have 15 family members staying in the summer cottage. Given the demands of a wedding and rehearsal dinner which are both taking place at our house, and the number of people under one roof, it is especially important that we take care of ourselves.


Self Care is a hot topic right now. When I was in Chicago for the Celebrate Your Life Conference I watched people swarm around Cheryl Richardson to talk about her new book “The Art of Extreme Self Care.” At the time I didn’t see the attraction to her work, especially since Barnaby and I are not caretakers to children or anyone else and because we have been focused on Self Care for the past several months. However, now that I am around the busyness of my family I am reminded how important Self Care is. For me, Self Care means going for a walk, stretching, meditating and talking with my prayer partners. It also means drinking more water and less alcohol, which, in this social environment, takes a conscious effort.

I have decided that Summer of ’09
at the Gerrity Cottage is the Summer of Self Care. I am giving out “gold stars” when we demonstrate a self loving act, such as my mom lying down for a rest, my niece doing her journal, my brothers going to play golf, etc. And even though I want Barnaby to be hanging out with me on the deck talking ‘til all hours of the night with the folks on “The Ridge” (as we call our little neighborhood on the lake), I am happy to see him go to bed early when he needs to.

Self Care requires listening to what I need and acting upon it. Sometimes it can be a challenge to carve out the time and space to listen, but I am always happier when I do and I am grateful for the support I receive in taking care of myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment