Weekly Discussion Group

Points of Light, a certified Teaching Chapter of United Centers for Spiritual Living, hosts a weekly reading and discussion group. Please feel free to join us any time.
WEDNESDAYS, 5:30-7:00 pm at Ann Arbor Interfaith Center (Click for a MAP)

Next Meeting: January 6, 2010

Erin's Blog

The Journal of Erin Fry, RScP - Points of Light's Founder and Facilitator.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

6 Harmonies


Today was my first time at a Zen center. I had received an email from the Interfaith listserv about a special guest coming to the Ann Arbor Zen Temple on August 16th. The idea of attending a Zen service intrigued me, especially since two of my prayer partners are involved in Buddhist practices.

Barnaby was willing to go, so we made an adventure out of it. I was surprised to learn that the Zen Temple has been in Ann Arbor since 1981. Another aspect of life I was not aware of when growing up here in the 80’s.

Everyone at the Zen Temple was friendly and helpful in answering our questions. I especially enjoyed the dharma talk on the 6 Harmonies, which are the principles for living harmoniously in a group.

One of the 6 Harmonies is speaking without conflict and was described as speaking from the heart. This topic is particularly relevant to me as I am actively promoting the use and practice of Marshall Rosenberg’s Compassionate Communication process (also called Nonviolent Communication). So when I realized that I was a week early for the special guest speaker I knew that I was right on time for what I needed to hear today.

I am grateful to know that I am always exactly where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment