Weekly Discussion Group

Points of Light, a certified Teaching Chapter of United Centers for Spiritual Living, hosts a weekly reading and discussion group. Please feel free to join us any time.
WEDNESDAYS, 5:30-7:00 pm at Ann Arbor Interfaith Center (Click for a MAP)

Next Meeting: January 6, 2010

Erin's Blog

The Journal of Erin Fry, RScP - Points of Light's Founder and Facilitator.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Inbox













Today Barnaby and I sat down to go through “The Mail Bag.”
Over the years this has become easier and easier as we have fewer and fewer pieces of mail. One of the reasons we have so little mail is that we no longer own a home or rent an apartment, so this cuts down on the bills we receive. But the big change really occurred when I decided that I no longer wanted any junk mail.

I went on a crusade to eliminate unwanted mail. This decision was the result of taking classes at our local spiritual centers which raised our awareness about our mental inbox. I figured if it was important to be conscious of my thoughts, then it was also important to monitor what was coming into our physical mailbox.

Every time we receive a piece of mail that we do not want I set it aside and make a phone call. I have a spreadsheet and log every call. That way if we do not stop receiving mail after 4-6 weeks like they tell me, then I can call back and have a record of when I called and who I spoke to previously. We are on a no mail list and the “Opt Out Department” for credit card applications.

 
Over time the unwanted mail has dwindled, but just like my thoughts, this takes ongoing attention. I am grateful for the new awareness of my thoughts and the power to choose what goes into my inbox.

What is in your inbox?

1 comment:

  1. My inbox is LOVE. Love You. Love me. Love.
    From the heart I read your blog notes and love the connection it creates. Thanks Erin. I miss you, but through the wonders of technology we can still connect. Email. Blogging. Cellphone. connection.
    all. Love you and miss you and the Michigan summer. In Lake'ch, Katy

    ReplyDelete